I began working on COD when there was nothing more than room square footages on paper and worked on it full time for three years until there was a building to move into. In a way I/we grew up with COD as during my COD tenure Mark graduated law school, passed the bar, clerked for a judge and then moved onto a "real" job and then onto another "real" job. During the time I took my licensing exams and became a legitimate architect. Personally we got engaged, planned a wedding and got married. And finally I continued to make site visits until the Thursday before I had Amelia.
A day does not go by in my professional career in which I don't pull from my COD experience. In summary we have a building the client loves and did some cool sustainable/environmental things with the building which I am proud of. I won't bore you with examples of these lessons as well frankly I realize very few of you actually care to hear architect talk.
As for personal lessons I learned that I am not cut out for suburban Chicago car commutes. Boy was I grumpy when I got home on Thursdays after my 2-hour bumper to bumper commute. Mark as a rule of thumb didn't talk to me until I had had a healthy serving of red wine. I also learned that hard hats on women will NEVER be cute, cool or stylish. Why do they make us wear them? Ms. Hughey Quinn told me once that as long as I didn't wear my phone on a clip on my belt she thought I could still be stylish in the "field". I'm also proud to report that I have never or will never wear my cell phone clipped to my pants.
I am well into my next architecture baby but just got around to saving pictures onto our home computer so I thought I would share.



Whitney, I got the chills from reading this! I'm so proud of you!
ReplyDelete