Sunday, September 26, 2010

Mommy Time!

After I got back from my work retreat and settled back in at home it was Mark's turn to head out of town. With Mark going to DC for five days for work Amelia and I were looking forward to some girl time. I had visions of chick music, popcorn for dinner and not getting a stern eye from Mark when I went to sleep with Amelia tucked in next to me.

The flu virus had other plans. We made it almost two years as parents not knowing what it was like to have a pretty sick kiddo but we sure learned this week! Our girl's week together was going along just fine until the drive home from work/daycare on Monday. She was being unusually fussy and saying, "mama mama." Yikes, you can figure out what came next but in case you can't it involved a very dirty toddler, car seat and car. It took until Friday morning for her to be "sick" free. Fortunately Mark's parents came up one day to play the roles of nurses and Mark flew in late Thursday night so he got in on the last day (I don't think I've ever been that happy to see my husband). Needless to say it was a very long week of constantly worrying about Amelia, seeing her sad little face, doing lots of laundry, scrubbing car seats, cleaning the floors and sleepless nights. It was so sad to see our sweet, active toddler so down and out.
Miss. Independent sure wanted Mama this week so we got to spend a lot of time snuggling in bed and on the couch together. If she wasn't getting sick or her Mama wasn't forcing liquids in her Amelia pretty much wanted to sleep and sleep she did. For some reason she HAD to take this particular book to bed with her for her nap. Looks like she takes after her dad and didn't make it too far before falling asleep.By Thursday she had a pretty good case of cabin fever but whenever I tried to take her anywhere she got sick so we just hung at home. She tried to show me that she was well enough to go for a walk by putting her shoes on, grabbing her Pedialyte and demanding, "no sick, Mama walk." Apparantly she doesn't think getting dressed is a prerequiste for taking a walk.

She hasn't gotten sick since Friday, her appetite is back, she is babbling our ears off again and we made a successful trip to the park this morning so I think we are well on our way to recovery!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Whitney - welcome to the official club of mothers of sick children! I never got over how awful it was to clean up mess after mess. I could have only done it for my own children!! Glad she's well again!

    ReplyDelete